Field service organizations (FSO) undergoing digital transformation understand the importance of mobile dispatch software to augment efficiency, enhance the customer experience, and drive revenue. Likewise, innovative mobile dispatch software can better position FSOs to successfully engage with their mobile-empowered workforce and captivate their customers at critical touchpoints.
In today’s mobile-first landscape, field service organizations that invest in mobile dispatch software are able to tap into a myriad of benefits while remaining agile and digitally competitive. In this post, we examine important field service management industry trends, the key components of mobile dispatch software, review the benefits, and note what to look for when evaluating dispatch solutions.
What is mobile dispatch software?
Mobile dispatch software, which is a component of dispatch software, is a digital application that automatically assigns jobs to field service technicians via mobile devices. For example, the mobile dispatch software selects technicians based on eligibility criteria, customized rules and rankings, and business-driven scheduling logic.
While there are different marketplace solutions, not all mobile dispatch applications can assign jobs to varying workforce types such as third-party, employed, and blended workforces. Therefore, when considering software, it’s important to determine if the dispatch software can work with today’s increasing reliance on a blended workforce.
Why is mobile dispatch software gaining adoption?
Drivers of increased adoption of mobile dispatch software include:
- Digital transformation within the field service industry
Modern field organizations are embracing digital transformation to meet both the rapidly changing workforce and customer landscape. Deploying field service automation empowers field technicians with all the critical customer and equipment information before arriving at an appointment – all through mobile devices.
- Addressing the skill shortage
Mobile dispatch software delivers greater control and visibility to FSOs dispatching to a blended workforce. The software can help schedule and dispatch the most qualified technicians for every job, both employed or contracted.
- Enabling data-driven decision making
Technician training, certification, and skills data enable mobile dispatch software to automatically assign the best field technician for every job. Moreover, FSOs can tap into strategic and actionable insights into how their field technicians are performing and can adjust business initiatives accordingly.
How does mobile dispatch software improve the customer experience?
Customer experience is a critical component of maintaining customer retention and increasing ROI. Likewise, mobile dispatch software can help FSOs improve their customer experience in the following ways.
- Automating and optimizing the dispatch management process – The manual dispatch management process is notoriously inefficient, time-consuming, and error-prone. AI technology can replace these outdated and paper-based methods by automating the complex dispatch process and improving the quality of service.
- Improving Mean Time to Service (MMTS) – Mean Time to Service is a critical metric that FSOs need to improve in order to meet the increasingly high expectations of their customers. By quickly dispatching the best, local field technicians to service jobs, technicians can arrive safely and on time for each job. Moreover, mobile dispatch software that uses route optimization and inventory management help FSOs optimize MMTS even further.
- Increasing geographic range of service – Mobile dispatch software can tap into employed technicians as well as third-party contractors; and in doing so, FSOs can extend their services into previously unavailable locations. Likewise, this allows FSOs to tap into a new customer base that was previously unattainable.
- Improving First-time Fix Rate – With mobile dispatch software, FSOs can access field technicians with varying skills and expertise to service a wider range of technical issues. The mobile software can also provide both employed and contracted field technicians access to the parts and inventory information needed for the job. By better preparing field technicians for appointments, they are empowered to complete a service job on the first try. Likewise, when a customer has their critical service issue solved in a timely manner on the first try, they are provided with a positive customer experience that fosters repeat business.
What to look for in mobile dispatch software
Field service businesses looking to invest in this technology can use the following considerations when evaluating potential software solutions.
AI-driven automation – FSOs need to invest in mobile dispatch software that can automatically and intelligently connect the best field technicians to each service job. Innovative mobile dispatch software should be customizable based on all of the details regarding a technician’s skill set, location, and real-time availability. Moreover, it should automate the service schedule so that the business does not need to manually confirm details.
Integrated maps, location-based technology – With integrated maps and location-based technology, field technicians are empowered to arrive at the job appointment on time with the help of dynamic, traffic-enabled, route optimization. This also provides FSOs and customers with visibility into where the field tech is located and gives technicians insight into customer sites and parts warehouses. Overall, the integrated maps help FSOs connect the right technician with the right parts to the right customer – all in a timely manner.
Real-time reporting – Modern field service organizations rely on comprehensive, accurate, and real-time data. Likewise, selecting mobile dispatch software that delivers real-time reporting provides greater visibility and control. This real-time data not only shows FSOs where all the field technicians, parts, and customers are but can also provide key performance metrics.
Scalable, integrated solution – Dispatching is a core functionality of field service organizations, so dispatching software needs to integrate with other applications, processes, and solutions. Moreover, FSOs need a scalable solution that will adapt as the business continues to grow. Deploy a software solution that is built to scale for whatever unfolds in the future.
Fast deployment, easy adoption – Mobile dispatch software needs to be quickly installed, deployed, and easy to adopt by all end-users. If the technology is too complex, there is a risk of low adoption. Therefore, evaluate software that is powerful but also intuitive to deploy and easy to use.
Partner with a leader in mobile dispatch software
As more field service organizations engage a blended workforce, it’s important that they deploy an integrated mobile dispatch software solution that specifically fits their needs.
ServicePower’s visionary mobile dispatch software helps FSOs intelligently manage a blended workforce on the go. With integrated mapping, real-time reporting, and an intuitive, scalable solution, it’s perfect for FSOs that are looking to improve their customer experience and maximize time to ROI.
Explore how your FSO can start expertly dispatching a blended workforce.