Having data and using data are two different stories. We often find that although field service professionals are gathering data through the tools available, they often don’t even know where to start when it comes to knowing how to utilize their data. Organizations leveraging big data are reporting a 7% decrease in operating costs year-over-year. (Source: Aberdeen) Can your field service organization afford to not utilize the treasure chest available to your organization through data?
Best-in-class organizations are 61% more likely to provide field technicians with access to performance dashboards to analyze real-time performance (Source: Aberdeen). Whether your organization is large or small, it’s just good business to know exactly where you stand so here are some best practices to implement to ensure your organization is making the most of its data.
1) Make it Accessible: Many organizations make the mistake of keeping their data close to the chest, but everyone you employ has a brilliant processing system sitting right on their shoulders, why not make use of it? Even the most astute data analyst could benefit from a second set of eyes. When you make the data accessible you leverage it to be utilized.
2) Make it Real-Time: What good is data that was gathered a week ago? Having access to real-time data is not only necessary in the fast-paced environment the field service industry operates in, but also it’s exciting and invites people’s curiosities to increase usability.
3) Become a Predictive Organization: ServicePower, a recognized leader in M2M innovation within the field service industry, incorporated M2M technology within our platform years ago primarily for its ability to transform organizations from reactive to predictive. Organizations utilizing this predictive approach by utilizing data are finding their data indispensable.
4) Offer Incentives: There’s no faster way to have your entire organization accessing data than offering up incentives. Analytics provides organizations the ability to link specific data with desired outcomes. Make a game out of performance that is judged by data.
The service industry is one of the few industries that demand continuous improvement, but without data your efforts are more likely to simulate a shot in the dark. Data is necessary to create the service organization you desire. Implementing these tips will assist you in cultivating an organization dependent on data for making smarter decisions.
If you find your organization doesn’t have accessibility to the most basic and necessary KPI’s:
- First time fix rates
- Jobs scheduled per day
- Jobs completed per day
- Mean time to repair or cycle time
- Travel time
Download Aberdeen's Report: Service Performance Management: Smarter Data, Better Decision.